- Feature Links
- City Projects & Plans
- New Bridge Street Project
New Bridge Street Streetscape Project
Project Information Page
The New Bridge Street infrastructure and streetscape improvement project is underway on New Bridge Street.
Your City is working to make Jacksonville a better place to work, live and play. The New Bridge Street infrastructure and streetscape improvements will include a variety of improvements; water, stormwater, sidewalks, street lighting, landscaping, medians, delivery areas, and removing overhead power. The goal of this project is to improve infrastructure, reduce flooding, and achieve a beautiful corridor where neighborhood businesses can thrive and people feel welcomed.
City crews will work to minimize impact to downtown businesses. Customers will have continued access and only partial lane closures are expected. Photo: 2023 image before construction of New Bridge Street (on the left) by the Freedom Fountain and City Hall.
May 5-15 :
- The traffic signal at the intersection of New Bridge Street and Bayshore Boulevard will be removed the week of May 5, 2023. Stop signs will be installed in the area and the intersection will function as an all-way stop. New traffic signals will be installed near the end of the project.
- The traffic signal at the intersection of New Bridge Street and Warlick street will be removed in May due to the overhead power lines being removed along New Bridge Street. Stop signs will be posted at the intersection and it will act as a 4-way stop.
- Detours- following detour signage
- Week of May 15th- From Bayshore to Johnson Blvd will be opening up on Monday, May 15th.
- Bayshore to Warlick Street will be down to one lane going towards New Bridge Middle School. From Warlick Street going towards Bayshore will be closed for construction, as Contractor continues with water line replacement.
- Intersection of Bayshore and New Bridge is currently operating as two way stop from Bayshore.
Construction and Road Lane Closures
The City will closely coordinate construction activity with business and property owners along New Bridge Street. The construction activity will require the temporary closure of lanes, sidewalks, or other public spaces to facilitate construction. Drivers can expect lane closures and lane shifts during construction. Pedestrians may experience detours or some temporary closed crossings.
We understand this will create challenges and frustrations for owners, motorists, and pedestrians. The City and the contractor are committed to working together to complete this project.
Current Road Closures
Lane closures are in effect on New Bridge Street near the intersection of Johnson Boulevard and Heurth Street. The road is closed to through traffic at the intersection of Bayshore Boulevard and New Bridge St as well as the intersection of Warlick and New Bridge Street.Please follow marked detours and give crews room to work. Pedestrian walkways on New Bridge Street are open to allow access to local businesses.
Noise and Activity
As we work to make significant improvements to New Bridge Street, there will be some short-term impacts. These include:
- Lane closures
- Gravel patches
- Parking challenges
- Pedestrian routes