Terrorism Awareness for Citizens
The events of September 11, 2001, have had an impact on all of us. We have entered into a new era in which terrorism must be approached at the local law enforcement level. In an effort to create a safe environment, police departments maintain liaisons with state and federal agencies to ensure that information is shared freely and in a timely manner. As Citizens or guests in our community, we ask that you report any unusual activity to Jacksonville Police. Provided below are some suggested guidelines to ensure that the information you provide is both beneficial and timely. Reports can be made at any time by dialing 9-1-1.
Describing Possible Incidents
When recording the essential details, utilize the following guide:
- Who did I observe
- What specifically did I see?
- Where did I observe the suspicious behavior?
- When did I observe the suspicious behavior?
- Why do I think the behavior is suspicious?
There are three elements in reporting a description to the police:
- Accuracy (most important)
Tips on Giving a Description to the Police
For a person:
- Age (approximate)
- Height (approximate - use 2-inch blocks of measure)
- Weight (approximate - use 10-pound blocks of measure)
- Build (medium, heavyset, thin, etc.)
- Hair (color, length, include facial hair)
- Complexion (light, dark, ruddy, olive)
- Eyes (color, glasses)
- Peculiarities (scars, tattoos, missing limbs)
- Clothing (from head to toe, style, defects)
- Weapons (if any)
- Method of escape (direction, vehicle, etc.)
For a vehicle:
- Year, make, and model
- Body type (two-door, four-door, van, SUV, etc.)
- Passengers (number of people in vehicle)
- License plate (most important)
- Damage to vehicle or anything unusual (logos, stickers, etc.)
It is very important to:
- Remain alert and aware of everyday activities in your neighborhood
- Encourage the involvement of family, friends and neighbors
- Assume responsibility to observe and report activities that appear out of place or unusual
In the event that you become aware of suspicious activity:
- Do not take direct action
- Do not confront the individual
- Do not reveal your suspicions
- Do record as many details as possible
- Do notify the appropriate authorities as soon as possible
Report Suspicious Activity on Base
Visit USMC Eagle Eyes or call the Eagle Eyes number at 451-3333.