Getting Help

Getting Help for Victims

Victims are not legally required to report incidents of domestic violence. However, a domestic violence victim can and should contact local law enforcement immediately after any violent incident takes place. Law enforcement officers can take the necessary measures to protect the victim from further harm. They can advise the victim of her legal rights for protection and can direct her to sources of shelter, medical care, and counseling. Officers also can transport a victim to a hospital, magistrate or battered women’s shelter, and can escort her home to collect personal effects.

In North Carolina, a victim may request the clerk of court to issue a domestic violence protection order. The order, often referred to as a “temporary restraining order” or “50-B order,” can be obtained without an attorney present. The order can:

  • Order the abuser not to assault, threaten, abuse, harass, or interfere with the victim or her children - either in person or on the telephone
  • Allow the victim to live in the home, and order the batterer to leave and not return
  • Give the victim possession of personal property (i.e. clothing and household goods)
  • Give the victim possession and use of the car
  • Order the abuser to stay away from the victim’s home, workplace, school, the children’s school and daycare, or any place where the victim is seeking shelter
  • Give the victim temporary custody of minor children and order the abuser to pay child support
  • Allow local law enforcement to remove the abuser from the home and help the victim return to the home

Questions? Need Help? Please call 910 455-4000.