Holiday Fire Safety
Fireworks Safety, Rules & Regulations
Please do not use fireworks that are illegal for your own safety and the safety of others. When setting off fireworks at home, please read the safety instructions on the item to help prevent fire or injury.
The City of Jacksonville does not allow certain types of fireworks within City limits. What is legal in Jacksonville and what is not? NCGS 14 to 414 defines:
Legal: Caps, glow worms, smoke devices, party or string poppers, snappers or poppers, sparklers.
Illegal: Basically, if it spins while on the ground or can propel itself into the air or can explode, it is illegal.
What should people do if their neighbors are setting off a lot of illegal fireworks? If anyone hears or sees something that they believe is a violation of the law, they should contact Jacksonville Police at 910-455-4000.
Not sure if your fireworks are legal? Jacksonville's City Ordinance, Sec. 15 to 31 - Fireworks, Firearms contains a detail list of legal and illegal fireworks. (View City Ordinance on fireworks)
Each year, Fire Departments respond to an average of 210 structure fires caused by Christmas trees. Carefully decorating Christmas trees can help make your holidays safer.
Picking the Tree
- If you have an artificial tree, be sure it is labeled, certified, or identified by the manufacturer as fire retardant.
- If you are purchasing a "live" tree, be sure to choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall of when touched.
Placing the "Live" Tree
-Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 1 to 2 inches from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least 3 feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
Lighting the Tree
- Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs. Read manufacturer's instructions for number of LED strands to connect.
- Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.