The City of Jacksonville is committed to ensuring that its Citizens are aware of their rights concerning fair housing. As part of our continuing efforts to comply with federal, state, and local anti-discrimination laws, we want you to be aware of the Fair Housing laws and where to turn to if you need assistance.
Fair Housing Survey
Your opinion matters. You are invited to speak up and provide feedback on what steps the City can take to overcome barriers to fair housing. Please take the Fair Housing Survey for Jacksonville Citizens or for Fair Housing Practitioners. Your personal information is not required to take the survey.
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Federal Fair Housing Law) prohibits housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial or handicap status. Since September 8, 1987, the City has had an official Fair Housing Policy in support of the Federal Fair Housing Law.
Federal law prohibits specific discriminatory practices, including:
- Refusing to sell or rent to, or deal or negotiate with, any person
- Discriminating in the terms or conditions for buying or renting housing
- Denying the availability of housing for inspection, sale or rent
- Advertising that housing is available only to persons of a certain race, color, religion, sex, or national origin
- Advocating, for profit, that owners sell or rent housing because minorities are moving into the neighborhood ("blockbusting")
- Denying or making different terms or conditions for commercial home loans
- Denying use of or participation in real estate services or other facilities related to the sale and rental of housing
Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice
The City of Jacksonville is required to periodically conduct an Analysis of Fair Housing Choice in Jacksonville. Completed in July 2010 this document outlines the activities the City will implement to overcome the effects of the identified impediments.
Fair Housing Notice
The City of Jacksonville Fair Housing Notice (PDF) is available for residents who are seeking additional information regarding Fair Housing. If you have questions relating to Fair Housing issues, or would like additional information please contact Tracy Jackson, Community Engagement Coordinator at 910 938-5269.
Fair Housing Complaint Form
If you believe you have been discriminated against, please download and complete the Fair Housing Complaint Form (PDF).
The completed form may be mailed to:
Carmen Miracle, Fair Housing Complaint Officer
City of Jacksonville
PO Box 128
Jacksonville, NC 28541-0128
You may also email Carmen Miracle or call 910 938-5224.
Fair Housing Complaints may also be reported to the following agencies:
- HUD Fair Housing Hotline: 800 669-9777
- US Justice Department: 202 514-4713
- NC Human Relations Commission: 919 733-7996