Jacksonville Public Safety requests the cooperation of Citizens and parents by limiting the hours of "trick-or-treat" to 5-8:30PM, Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
JPD Halloween Safety Precautions:
- Wear light-colored clothing, short enough to prevent tripping.
- Add reflectors or glow-in-the-dark elements to costumes and clothing.
- Watch carefully for traffic. Walk on sidewalks, not in the street. If there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic.
- Cross streets at crosswalks when available. Look both ways before crossing streets and cross when the lights tell you to cross, after you check for cars in all directions.
- Ensure that young children can see well through face masks.
- Trusted adults should accompany young children on Halloween activities.
- Go out in daylight and carry a flashlight in case of delay.
- Stay within a familiar neighborhood and only visit homes you know.
- Only give or accept wrapped or packaged candy.
- Examine treats before allowing children to enjoy them.
- Golf carts are not allowed on city streets and sidewalks.
Additional safety tips for motorists:
Motorists should be especially cautious to prevent any injury to those participating in Halloween activities.
- Drive slowly through residential streets and areas where people walk.
- Watch for children darting out from between parked cars.
- Watch for children walking on roads, medians, and curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully.
- At twilight and later in the evening, watch for children in dark clothing.